Chairman Higher Education Commission (HEC), Dr Javaid Leghari has announced the ranking of the Pakistani universities for the year 2013 at the press conference held at the Commission Secretariat on Friday.
The ranking was based on the quality and research. The chairman quoted that the main purpose behind the ranking was to improve the quality, research and promote a culture among the higher Institutions of Pakistan (HEIs) to participate in the world rankings.
At the prestigious occasion he further said,
“These rankings are supposed to be a mirror – they let the universities know their strengths and weaknesses,”Advertisements
This ranking system is going to infuse a sense of competition amongst the universities which is going to raise the standard of education in Pakistan and to compete the international universities in future I.A.
According to HEC ranking 2013 following are the top ranked universities in the respective areas:
In this area the top five ranked universities by HEC are;
- University of Agriculture Faisalabad
- Pir Mehr Ali Shah Arid Agriculture University Rawalpindi
- University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Lahore
- The University of Agriculture Peshawar
- Sindh Agriculture University Tandojam
- Lasbela University of Agriculture, water and Marine Sciences.
Engineering and Technology:
In Engineering and Technology category
- Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Science Islamabad
- University of Engineering and Technology Lahore
- Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering and Technology Swabi
- Mehran University of Engineering and Technology Jamshoro
- Institute of Space Technology, Islamabad
In this category following universities stand out
- Lahore University of Management Sciences Lahore
- Institute of Business Administration Karachi
- Institute of Business Administration Sukkar
- Shaheed Zulifikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology (SZABIST) Karachi
- Institute of Management Sciences Peshawar
as the top universities.
In Medical category,
- Aga Khan University Karachi
- University of Health Sciences Lahore
- Dow University of Health Sciences Karachi
- Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences Jamshoro
- Khyber Medical University Peshawar
- King Edward Medical University Lahore
were able to make their place in the top ranked universities in the respective category.
General Universities (Large):
In General Universities (Large)
- National University of Sciences and Technology Islamabad
- University of the Punjab Lahore
- University of Karachi,Karachi
- COMSATS Institute of Information Technology Islamabad
- Government College University Faisalabad
- University of Peshawar,Peshawar
- Shah Abdul Latif University Khairpur
- The Islamia University of Bahawalpur
General Universities (Medium):
General Universities (Medium) includes
- Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad
- Government College University Lahore
- National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences Islamabad
- Fatima Jinnah Women University Rawalpindi
- Gomal University D.I Khan
- University of Azad Jammu and Kashmir Muzaffarabad.
General Universities (Small):
General Universities (Small) included
- The University of Faisalabad, Faisalabad
- Beaconhouse National University Lahore
- Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE) Islamabad
- University of Science and Technology Bannu
- Isra University Hyderabad
- Foundation University Islamabad
Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) is doing sincere efforts to raise the standard of education in Pakistan. The mission of the Higher Education Commission (HEC) is
“to facilitate institutions of higher education to serve as engine of growth for the socio-economic development of Pakistan”.
In this way the Pakistani universities will be able to set their foot in the top international rankings. Our present efforts are going to decide the future of Pakistan.